Happy Primary Election Day in Illinois!

 Yesterday, Mike Quigley, Rahm Emmanuel's 5th District replacement in this fine metropolis of Chicago, made an afternoon appearance at the Community Center to schmooze, rub elbows with, and, perhaps, siphon a few votes from his working class, Albany Park constituency.  As it were, he gave a lovely, eloquent, articulate, well-meaning speech to a gym full of folks who don't speak a whole lot of English.  If you think you've seen blank stares before, I guarantee that you've never sat in a room with a politician and a gaggle of non-native English speakers.  It was all kind of awesome.

Notably, Congressman Quigley mentioned a crummy statistic wherein some 23% of registered voters in the United States participate in primaries.  As a civics-peddling, 'I-heart-my-community'-badge-wearing ESL teacher, I think this is rather pathetic.  So, dear Chicago pals, GO VOTE TODAY.  Right?  RIGHT?!?  I love you.

Civic Engagement RULES! 

No comments: