A. I am enchanted by the Civil War. I just am. It's a love affair that is deeply rooted, inexplicable, long-lived, and painfully nerdy.
B. I also very much like Dover Publications.
C. As a marriage of the two, I've dreamt for the past few years of having a rather prominent cats-wearing-1860s-garb tattoo inked on my general back region. The two cats will obviously be wearing era-appropriate costume pulled from the glossy pages of Tom Tierney's American Family of the Civil War Era Paper Dolls. However, since the whole affair is a bit of a commitment, for now...
D. I'm going to settle for this:

Sherman's march through Georgia was all rather gruesome and violent and devastating and reallyreallyreally heinous, which makes for quite a compelling piece of photo-journalism: 'Originally published in a now-rare collector's edition in 1866, this [is a] complete portfolio of works by the only photographer known to have accompanied Sherman on his march...' OH BOY do I want this book!!! This is the sort of thing that the geeky, geeky childhood version of myself would have kept in my nightstand only to pour over every evening before bedtime. Sigh.
E. All of this reminds me of this: 'Sherman's March: A Meditation on the Possibility of Romantic Love In the South During an Era of Nuclear Weapons Proliferation' is an (AWESOME) 1986 film by Ross McElwee about, as stated, finding love in Georgia using the March to the Sea as a compass. It's awesome and weird and very worth seeing. I haven't watched the documentary in years but, oddly enough, my FAVORITE FASHION CUTEPANTSES Vena Cava just posted about it on their blog. Weeeeird.
F. And, for good measure, here's this tidbit from PostSecret:

Saturday night! Party Time! Civil War!
3 comments:
OMG a cat wearing civil war garb?! THAT'S THE BEST IDEA EVER. DO IT.
and I love that postsecret postcard...heeeelarious...and I'd tap that.
Ugh. I KNOW. It's just such an investment. I'm a little afraid to drop, like, $700 on a cat tattoo, you know? I think I might start out with a B&W cat-related thing and go from there...
whaaa???? and you need to put it somewhere where you can see it allllll the time, like on your arm...that's where my kattoos are...I paid $100 for each, and they both have fill...though they aren't that big...
DO IT
Post a Comment