I need luck.


Ladies and germs, in T-2 hours I'm going to embark on a 24 hour Amtrak train ride to Boston.  From Chicago.  To Boston.  From Chicago.  986 miles.  On a train.

  It's all a very long & dramatic story about my inability to renew identification and/or respect the value of vital life documents, but, essentially, I've got a plane ticket to Boston tonight that I can't use because I have only an expired passport to get me through O'hare security.  It seems, at the moment, I am identity-less, without a birth certificate, social security card, state ID, and passport.  However, on Saturday, I'm presenting at a SUPER BIG DEAL ESL conference, and my absence isn't really an option.  Sooo, here I am, taking a train to Boston like a Victorian woman of the world, hoping that I won't die of boredom during my 20th hour on the rails tomorrow.

On the very bright side, though, I'm planning the debut of my Mociun moonwalker skirt for Saturday's big event (!!!), which, I have no doubt, will ensure that my workshop is out of this world.  Think of me at 1 EST and hope that I'm knocking some teacher-socks off with my SUPER EXCITING and REVOLUTIONARY and EXOTIC new methods of instruction in the Adult Ed. ESL classroom.

13 comments:

Megan said...

OH MY GOD, LINDSAY, YOU LUCKY BITCH. That's exactly what I want to do for my b-day this year! Travel overnight on an Amtrak train in a sleeper car, so I could feel like a hot stud from the 40's. I was thinking abt going from Philly to Chicago, where my bestie lives, and since that's like the shortest, cheapest route, but I so poor right now, I might have to push it off for another year. BUT DO NOT COMPLAIN, WOMAN. IT IS GOING TO BE AWESOMMMMME. But I can imagine the wifi-less boredom.

On another note, HIPHIPHOORAY for presenting at a conference! I can't wait till I'm legit enough to do that. And I know that skirt will make your presentation 100x more awesomer. Especially if you wear this as the top.

cg3 said...

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents.shtm

"Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane."

Eunice said...

Lindsay, I share Megan's enthusiasm. OH HELLS YEAHH TRAINRIDE, I've been planning to do long distance from Portland to Chicago via Amtrak (I heard the views are glorious from Washington to the Midwest) ANYWAY.

HAHAHA Oh me too I'm identity less except my passport is not expired. I'm so lazy to take the driver's license and even study the DMV handbook on my spring break. BUT

THAT'S SO COOL A BIG DEAL CONFERENCE. I just do museum group tours BUT YOU oh gosh amazing! LASTLY

You totally scored my most favorite Mociun print of all time :)))

Lindsay said...

Good luck at your conference . . . so so awesome . . . and don't drink too much booze on the train : )

Hello Lindello said...

that's looooooong. Good luck friend.

I want to see that skirt in action!

julia said...

Dude, I'm so jealous of the awesome train ride you have ahead of you. I've always wanted to take a super long train ride ever since I finally read Around the World in Eighty Days. I hope you have fun! And welcome to Boston, it's supposed to be chilly again here this weekend sadly...but not rainy! good luck at your conference and nice skirt!

Megan said...

OOOO MAH GAWWWD...we should all take Amtrak to Chicago and party hardy. and then go shopping. and party again. and find hot boyz.

Eunice said...

haha megan party hardy, i can totally hear tardy for the party as the dance song!

Grow Books Press said...

This whole time when you keep mentioning "TESOL",...I thought you were saying "T-Saw".
Anyway, Im happy everything went super. That skirt is awesome and if if goes on sale, I may buy it for my graduation. Ya know, since the epitome of graduation is "Reach for the stars" and it will be outta-this-world. Boooyah!

Lindsay said...

Hahahaha! YES! Amtrak to Chicago! Cute Boyz! Crop tops! Shopping!

Megan, I WISH I would have worn that tube-top-bra-top. I TOTALLY forgot mine at home, though. Duuuuh.

Also, I didn't drink ANY booze on the train. Sadly. I was kind of too nervous to get up from my seat and leave my belongings alone, unattended. I didn't want anybody to steal the handouts for my presentation, you know?!?

Hahaha, Rachel, yeah, my Dad had similiar such problems understanding me when I said 'TESOL.' He thought I was all saying 'TEFALL.' And, sadly, I think you may have missed your chance on the skirt. I think it's mostly sold out everywhere...

Well, thanks for all of the supportive comments, dudes. When I got to Boston, and read everything that y'all had written, I felt pretty good about my predicament. So, THAAAANKS!

Megan said...

eeeeehehehehe BOYZ. CLOTHEZ. DEBAUCHERY. I'm There.

hahaha and I agree with Eunice...I can already hear it...don't be tardy for the party...oooooooo...don't be tardy for the party...ooooooo

caroline said...

oh my. last summer i went on a 1,100 mile amtrak ride from la to seattle. then seattle to portland.. it was horrible!! i hope your experience was better.

Lindsay said...

It was! It was! Surprisingly, it was NOT horrible.