Rachel & I spent about 7 hours in the emergency room of the John H Stroger Jr Hospital yesterday, and boy was it fun! Seriously. It was.
Rachel tripped and fell on a length of chain Friday night, and the executive decision was made around noon Saturday to head on down to the ER. Since checking in to the hospital alone with a bum arm is the sucks, I escorted her. Cook County is the hospital for us low-income, insurance-less folk, and it's ten kinds of insanity. However, aside from having to deal with its maddening maze of dirty waiting room after waiting room after waiting room filled with a cacophony of colorful characters, we actually had sort of a good time. Mind you, I wasn't the one who, pain-medicine free, sat for over 14 hours with a fractured radial head while 8 different lab techs and nurses and helpers and secretaries and assorted other hospital staff instructed me to fill out forms with my non-dominant writing hand while about to pass out because someone had just accidentally knocked into my swollen elbow. Rachel kicked some serious broken-arm ass yesterday.
However, being at a hospital filled with certifiably insane folk is sort of awesome:
- It's fun to be nosy and figure out why people are spending their entire Saturday afternoon in the waiting room of a random ER. My sleuthing skills deduced that most of the dudes in there seemed to have headaches and/or alcohol problems.
- It's a nice reminder that, while my place of employment is one serious shitshow of humanity, there are places that are far, far, far shitshow-er-y.
- Every single doctor, nurse, tech, secretary, janitor, etc etc yesterday was an angel. Seriously. They were the most professional, supportive, positive, kind, talkative group of overworked public servants I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with. All of that while being heinously understaffed, a dingy room full of about 100 odorous citizens, clutching their bags of garbage whilst talking to themselves, waiting to be seen. Rachel and I spent a good part of our visit speculating about what a swell doc that Lindsay Petty must be, based on the compassion of the staff at Cook County.
- I got to help the doctor set Rachel's arm!!! IT WAS AWESOME!!!
- A man shackled to his bed under the diligent watch of a DOJ correction's officer, who had gotten in a fight earlier in the day which had effectively crushed the delicate bones in his face, totally ogled us while Rachel was, 7 hours later, given her single Vicodin for the pain. I think we were probably the first chicks he had seen in some time.
Unexpected highlight of my week! Thanks for inviting me along, Rachel!
And, let's all take a moment to hope that when Rachel returns to Cook County on Tuesday for her follow-up appointment, she'll get to pick out a SWEET colored cast!

5 comments:
Oh goodness-- poor Rachel. I sincerely hope she won't need surgery and a bright pink cast becomes the end of the story. I'm glad the experience was fun, though : ) A hospital is definitely a place for many random and strange stories, and fabulous people-watching. Especially Cook County . . .
Bummer!!
Your such a good friend. Just today I was reading about Cook County in the book BLINK. It was described pretty much like that. Weird!
SUPER WEIRD!
Thanks LP! I too am hoping for either a pink or purple cast and no surgery.
I wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes in that place without Linz, and all the giggles that ensue!
awww, feel better, Rachel!!!
Post a Comment