Happy Day of Love!

 
Admittedly, I've already done quite my fair share of Valentine's Day celebrating this year.  On Wednesday, my students insisted on throwing a Love Partay during the last half of class, so we all stuffed ourselves with incongruous foods from various cultures and countries at 10.30 in the morning and listened to Beatles' love songs.  (I made them do the latter.)  An Ecuadorian student got up extra early to slave away over a hot oven and bake us the above-pictured tres leches cake.  Sadly, on the drive to school, he momentarily managed to forget about the cake stashed in the backseat of his car, throw on the brakes extra suddenly at a stop, and we all ended up with a goobery Valentine's Day explosion.  

I also had my students read this tale of a brokenhearted elephant in Lyon, France.  Whereas I thought it a poignant, tear-jerking tribute to true love and broken hearts, my students found it bleak and miserable.  I got quite a few misty eyes, some grumblings in the back row, and even the blatant, 'Teacher, WHY would you make us read this for Valentine's Day?!?  Are you crazy?  It's too sad for us.'  Sorry, dudes!  Happy Valentine's Day!

I also received this really good text yesterday from a pal:
'All the cashiers at the whole foods in the south loop are stone foxes that i would bang.  I divided my purchase into three smaller ones to maximize contact.'

And with that: Happy Day!

LOVE RULES!

7 comments:

mbuenger said...

Imma have to guess that the writer of that texts' nam starts with a J. And ends with a -uan.

Jenn said...

Learned about this in class the other day: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/broken-heart-syndrome/DS01135

Womp!

Lindsay said...

Womp WOMP!

And, Banger, I won't tell you his name, but I will tell you that he IS from Puerto Rico. You may or may not be correct in your guessing.

Grow Books Press said...

awesome and delicious

Lindsay said...

Twas delish!

juan said...

from the three cashiers, my favorite was a blond with green eyes, wearing dark 501's and a chambray shirt. his name is ryan s. i loved him intensely for the minute that we interacted in somehow close proximity.

Lindsay said...

I'm pretty sure I love him, too, Juan. Based on the description.