And, boy oh boy, this denim onesie is the cream of the crop. If ever I spy something this awesome at the VDO, god help the fool in my path of destruction.
Speaking of jumpsuits, something really good happened in a class of mine last week. During a lesson, the objective of which I won't delve too deeply into here, I asked my students to peruse an ESL picture-based dictionary to find a word that was new to them. Mind you, this is a picture dictionary, wherein every vocabulary item is matched with a corresponding cartoon, drawing, or what-have-you-visual-illustration. My students were then asked to write a sentence using this newly acquired word to share with their classmates. After a bit of research, much to-do, and with great hesitation, one of my pairs chose the word 'jumpsuit.' This immediately caused me to snort laugh and, then, attempt to cover it with a cough-sneeze-yawn (A. because jumpsuits are inherently hilarious and B. because the group was a giggly pair of teenagers, one big haired and rosy from Mexico and the other hijab-ed and modest from Yemen). When encouraged to write a sentence with the word in it, the two looked quizzically at me and asked me to give them a few examples. Since an ESL class gets by on the stereotypes of modern America, I offered them, 'A mechanic wears a jumpsuit to fix cars' & 'My brother is a painter. He uses a jumpsuit when he paints.' After I was satisfied that they had gotten the concept of a jumpsuit, I left the pair to it and circulated around the rest of the class. After about 15 minutes of deep concentration, however, they were still sentence-less. It seemed that, in the end, the very notion of a jumpsuit was just too foreign, too confusing, too difficult to contextualize. They were totally stumped. So, they decided to write a sentence using the word 'bio-hazard,' as that is, obviously, more straightforward.
All of this, of course, left me extremely bummed. WHY DON'T I OWN ANY JUMPSUITS?!? WHAT GOOD AM I AS A TEACHER IF I CAN'T WEAR CRAZY SHIT TO WORK AND TEACH MY STUDENTS ABOUT IT?!?
The moral of my story: Jumpsuits are mind-blowing.

11 comments:
hahahahah that's awesome...I would have taken the easy way out, like I did in German class, and have written "I wear a jumpsuit." You could always score one at AA, right? I'm sure they have something like that hehehahah
but I dig her jumpsuit...that's hot
that jumper is so hot, i think denim might be my hobby too!
Best story ever?
hahahahahahhahahahah! oh man if you wear a jumpsuit in class, maybe those two boys would have a better understanding of what it is and use it in a sentence, "my teacher is wearing a jumpsuit." then it wouldn't be so foreign anymore.
Dudes. I GOTTA GET ONE! This is serious!
Awwww.....those poor students.
I like jumpsuit's shorter cousin...Romper. Ah...Jumpsuits, for some reason I always equate them with pantsuits....Even though I know they're not the same thing...haha.
Hahahaha. Pantsuits. Hahaha.
I didn't know you wrote hilarious stories on here!
This is my favorite blog ever again!
WHOAH! I'm glad you like it!
isn't it difficult to urinate in such garments? do you have to pretty much get naked in the stall? i am curious.
In fact, Juan, yes you do, essentially, have to get naked to use the bathroom. It's the same for leotards/body suits. Which, is reason enough to NOT wear either to music festivals. A mistake I made at least 3 times last summer...
Post a Comment